Riding in cold winter conditions presents unique challenges. As temperatures drop, windchill can make an already frigid day feel even colder. Staying warm and dry is crucial for comfort and safety.
That’s why we’re excited to review the Merlin Tewkesbury jacket, part of Merlin’s new technical range designed specifically for winter motorcycling.
With its weatherproof shell and insulating lining, this jacket promises to keep riders protected from the elements while retaining flexibility and breathability. But is this the best motorcycle jacket for you?
In this Merlin Tewkesbury Cotec Jacket review, we’ll examine the construction, features, and real-world performance of the Merlin Tewkesbury. Let’s dive in!
- Retro style, modern performance
- Blocks wind, seals rain
- Lightweight, moderate insulation
- Versatile 3-season protection
- Vintage looks, dry riding
A Retro Look With Modern Performance
The Merlin Tewkesbury features a vintage waxed cotton aesthetic reminiscent of early 20th-century motorcycle jackets. But under this retro exterior lies a fully modern, technical jacket engineered for alpine environments.
- The outer shell utilizes Kotec waxed cotton, a lightweight and breathable fabric produced by the British mill Halley Stevensons. With its abrasion resistance and water repellency, Kotex adds authenticity while providing protection.
- For proven waterproofing, Merlin equipped the Tewkesbury with a Reissa membrane. This waterproof, windproof, and breathable liner blocks moisture while allowing perspiration to escape.
- Insulation comes from a tartan fleece lining with 70g wadding. This delivers lightweight warmth without excessive bulk.
With its CE AA safety rating and included Level 1 D3O armor, the Merlin Tewkesbury provides impact protection alongside its weather-beating performance. Riders looking for vintage style without compromising on safety or comfort should take note.
Weather Protection You Can Rely On
Riding in cold winter weather demands gear that seals out the elements. Here’s how the Merlin Tewkesbury delivers reliable protection from wind, water, and precipitation:
- The waxed cotton shell resists light rainfall and snow. Seam tape and a storm flap block water from entering the zipper.
- Adjustable velcro cuffs and a drawcord hem seal out drafts. Neck snaps and a tall collar add extra coverage.
- Underarm zip vents allow rapid cooling when needed, while an inner wind flap behind the zipper blocks chilling airflow.
- The Reissa membrane bonded to the waxed cotton outer provides guaranteed waterproofing and windproofing.
Together, these features create a defense against precipitation and windchill. In our experience, the Merlin Tewkesbury keeps wind and moderate rainfall out through hours of riding. For colder climates, it’s an excellent second layer underneath a fully insulated winter jacket.
How The Merlin Tewkesbury Compares To Similar Jackets
|Waterproof & windproof shell, DWR coating on waxed cotton exterior
|70g tartan fleece lining
|D3O elbow & shoulder armor included
|Roland Sands Design Ronin
|Water-resistant waxed cotton, no membrane
|Quilted vest liner
|Rev’It Sand 3
|Hydratex waterproofing, fully taped seams
|Detachable thermal liner
|Seesoft Level 1 elbow & shoulder armor
|Alpinestars Oscar Charlie
|Drystar waterproof & breathable membrane, YKK aquaguard zippers
|Removable windbreaker vest
|ForceTech elbow & shoulder armor
The Bottom Line
The Merlin Tewkesbury brings together retro, cool, and modern performance. For riders seeking vintage styling with proven weather protection, it delivers on both counts.
The Kotex shell blocks wind and repels light rain, while the Reissa membrane guarantees waterproofing and breathability. With its armor and safety features, the Tewkesbury provides heavy-duty protection against the elements this winter.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the sizing on the Merlin Tewkesbury?
The sizing runs slightly large, like most Merlin jackets. For reference, our model with a 40″ chest wore a size large. Consult the size chart and allow room for layering underneath.
Does it keep you warm in very cold weather?
The lightweight fleece lining provides moderate insulation that’s ideal for fall and spring. For frigid winter riding, layer a thermal base layer or heated jacket underneath.
Is it waterproof in heavy rain?
Can you add a hood or extra insulation?
Unfortunately, there are no provisions to add a hood or extra insulation liner. The Tewkesbury is designed as a single-layer jacket.
Is this a good choice for summer riding?
Riders seeking vintage style with modern protection from wind and precipitation need look no further than the Merlin Tewkesbury.
While not a heavy winter parka, it excels as a versatile 3-season jacket. If you ride year-round, the Tewkesbury is sure to see mileage on your back for many seasons to come. Don’t endure another winter without proper gear – stay stylish and ride dry this year!
The Merlin Tewkesbury brings together retro style and contemporary performance. Its weatherproof shell and insulating fleece lining provide versatile protection across three seasons.
While not a heavy winter parka, Tewkesbury’s windproofing and waterproofing excel at keeping precipitation at bay.
For riders seeking vintage aesthetics backed by modern engineering, it delivers on all counts. Stay stylish and ride dry through whatever this winter brings.
Previous Article: Klim Kaos Jacket Review
Next Article: FXR Helium Ride Softshell Jacket Review