In this comprehensive review, we’ll break down the key features and benefits of the Altamira Gore-Tex jacket so you can determine if it’s the right choice for you.
But, the main question I will answer in this review will be: Is this the best GORE-TEX motorcycle jacket for you? Let’s find out!
An Overview of the Altamira Gore-Tex Motorcycle Jacket
The Alpinestars Altamira Gore-Tex Jacket is designed for all-weather, long-distance motorcycle touring. It features a GORE-TEX laminated membrane shell for impressive waterproofing and breathability. GORE-TEX technology ensures raindrops bead up and roll off the surface while enabling inner moisture vapor to escape.
Engineered for enhanced comfort and practicality on the road, the Altamira jacket includes a magnetic main zipper for convenient fastening and adjustable snap closures at the collar, cuffs, and waist. The pre-curved sleeves and articulated elbows provide a performance fit that allows free movement in a riding position.
For cold-weather riding, this waterproof motorcycle jacket has a detachable PrimaLoft Black Insulation Eco thermal liner that can be quickly zipped in or out as needed. Multiple vents with waterproof zippers offer ventilation during warm rides.
The Altamira is Tech Air compatible and features built-in pockets to accommodate Alpinestars Nucleon chest and back protectors for safety.
Reflective details boost nighttime visibility, while the elongated rear panel provides extra coverage when leaned forward on your motorcycle.
Notable Features and Technologies of the Altamira GTX Jacket
- Fully laminated GORE-TEX chassis – Provides guaranteed waterproofing along with breathability for comfort. GORE-TEX products are rigorously tested for quality assurance.
- Ventilation zippers – Strategically placed waterproof zippered vents on the chest, forearms, inner sleeves, and back allow cooling airflow to regulate body temperature.
- Elbow & shoulder armor – It comes equipped with high-performance Nucleon Flex Pro armor in the elbows and shoulders for impact protection.
- Removable thermal liner – The lightweight 80g PrimaLoft insulation jacket can be zipped in or out to adapt to weather conditions.
- Magnetic main zipper – Allows quick and convenient fastening even while wearing gloves. The zipper is also specially treated for water resistance.
- Adjustable fitting – Waist adjusters, collar snaps, and pre-curved sleeves enable you to customize the fit for optimal comfort in your riding position.
- Reflective details – Increase nighttime visibility for safety when riding in low-light conditions.
Riding Comfort for All-Weather Touring
For colder environments, the included PrimaLoft thermal jacket insulates without adding bulk. The soft, microfiber comfort collar prevents chafing at the neck, while the extended back panel covers your lower back when leaning forward.
Unique Color Options for Style & Visibility
- Black/Bright Red – Provides high visibility with a vibrant red Alpinestars logo and piping details.
- Forest/Military Green – Subdued earth tones blend into nature while offering good contrast on the road.
The jacket utilizes a ripstop polyester shell fabric with a subtle crosshatch pattern. The GORE-TEX membrane on the chassis is microporous, so it doesn’t alter the look and feel of the textile exterior.
High-visibility colors like red and yellow are recommended for added safety, so the Black/Bright Red option offers good style and function. Choose the Forest/Military Green if you prefer a more low-profile aesthetic.
Sizing to Fit Different Body Types
One of the benefits of the Altamira design is that it’s offered in a wide range of men’s sizes from S all the way up to 4XL. There are also separate women’s sizes available.
This extensive size range ensures you can get the ideal fit for your body type, whether you need a slim performance fit or a taller/wider frame.
The jacket is competition cut to feel snug when in full riding position. It’s recommended to size up if you plan on layering heavily underneath.
The waist, collar, and arm adjusters allow you to tweak the fit. The pre-curved sleeves are optimized for comfort and flexibility while riding or working the handlebars.
Sizing and Fit
To ensure the perfect fit for your riding adventures with the Alpinestars Altamira GTX Jacket, it is important to use their sizing chart and accurately measure your chest, waist, arm, and height.
Alpinestars understands the significance of the right fit for both comfort and protection on the road, which is why they provide a detailed size chart for accurate selection. Here’s what you need to know:
- Chest measurement: Measure the fullest part of your chest, parallel to the ground.
- Waist measurement: Find your natural waistline parallel to the ground.
- Arm measurement: Measure from your shoulder to your wrist bone along the outside of your arm.
By following these measurements and referring to the size chart, you can confidently choose the right size for your Alpinestars Altamira GTX Jacket.
The Altamira jacket has quickly become my go-to for multi-day motorcycle touring. It has replaced jackets costing twice as much. The quality and performance are unmatched in this price range.
I found it to be a very versatile 4-season jacket. It breathes well during summer rides but can handle colder fall temps with the PrimaLoft liner. The value for money is exceptional.
I wore this jacket riding 2000 miles through Colorado while I was visiting family last year, it was comfortable in hot, cold, wet, and windy conditions. The magnet main zipper and ventilation make it perfect for touring.
How Does the Altamira Jacket Compare to Similar Models?
The Altamira gets top marks from most riders for breathability and weatherproofness compared to other textile jackets. It’s lighter and more packable than the Gateway while being warmer than the Valparaiso.
When it comes to value, the feature set and technology of the Altamira punches far above its mid-range price point. It outperforms many premium touring jackets that cost $200 to $300 more.
For hardcore 365-day touring riders that cover long distances through all types of weather, the Altamira is an exceptional choice in terms of quality, versatility, and value.
Key Pros and Cons
- Guaranteed GORE-TEX weatherproofing & breathability
- Lightweight and packable for travel
- Zip-out PrimaLoft thermal liner for warmth
- Pre-shaped sleeves and articulated elbows for comfort
- Magnetic main zipper and waterproof zippered vents
- Ample adjustment for a customized fit
- Extensive size range in men’s and women’s sizing
- Great value for the price
- Slim performance fit, so sizing up may be required for layering
- Only two color options are available
- Mesh liner may not be ideal for coldest winter riding
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is the Altamira jacket fully waterproof?
Q: Does it come with armor?
Q: What is the sizing like?
A: It has a snug performance fit. Size up if you need to wear layers underneath. Taller riders may want to size up.
Q: Is there a matching pants?
Q: Is this a cold weather jacket?
A: The PrimaLoft insulation liner allows it to adapt for colder weather riding. However, for extreme cold, you may need extra layers.
Conclusion: Who is the Altamira Gore-Tex Jacket For?
For motorcyclists looking for a premium 4-season touring jacket, the Alpinestars Altamira Gore-Tex Jacket is an excellent option to consider. It provides guaranteed weather protection combined with excellent breathability and ventilation.
The PrimaLoft thermal liner and Tech Air compatibility allow you to ride in comfort across a wide temperature range.
It packs down well for travel-minded riders while offering practical features like a magnetic main zipper and adjustable fitting.
While not inexpensive, the Altamira offers tremendous value by outperforming many other jackets in the same price range.
If you ride long distances through unpredictable weather, this jacket has the versatile performance to keep you warm, dry, and protected across all riding conditions.
Previous Article: Alpinestars Ast Air V2 Motorcycle Jacket Review